Wednesday 19 January 2011

It's been six years.

In 2005 I decided that escape from where I was at in life was the only option if I was to be happier - and probably healthier. But how? Like many I didn't have unlimited funds and still needed to work - not just for the money - but for my sanity and self-respect too. But to balance my lack of significant funds I was unencumbered by family or insurmountable commitments. And I could continue to work for my employer; now that's pushing the work-from-home concept to it's limits.

So, as I have previously explained, I bought a house in Thailand as a first step to a new, and as I dreamed, a better life.

I jotted in my journal at the time that I had no reason not to try; once I explained my plan, my friends asked why not? Balance my life appropriately between two countries. And recover my investment if the idea turns to crap - and retreat.

So how is it turning out?

I am currently in Thailand so I hopped on my motorscooter this morning and headed to a small cove right at the southern tip of this lovely tropic island; I head south, Chalong Bay on my left and on my right the range that separates my side of the island from the Andaman sea. Yat Nui is beautiful but rocks make it unattractive for swimming at low tide so first I checked the tides online at the 'Phuket Gazette' - high at 11am - perfect! And it's sunny for the first time in quite a few days.

The road is wide and climbs to a crest from Chalong Circle, where it descends to Rawai - on the Chalong side of the hill the temperatures are higher and the winds gustier than the Rawai side and cresting the hill is always a welcome relief; at Rawai I ride along the esplanade where the temperatures are noticeably lower again as I skirt the beach; but this is not swimming territory.

I ride a narrow winding road through  lush Thai countryside - and then I'm there - less than 15 minutes from home.

Once I reach a hundred metres or so from shore - with maybe four metres of crystal clear water below me - I look around. Away to my left a small school of fish leap from the water - silver scales reflect the blue sky. To my left a small island.

And to my right, in the distance, a forested headland where the waters of Phang Nga Bay and the Andaman Sea meet. A blue, cloudless sky. Boats beyond me are bobbing - a couple of brightly painted long-tailed boats - and some sail boats litter my horizon.

To my immediate right, a towering headland with a small sala to provide viewers shade, and a tall wind turbine which generally turns lazily in a constant breeze - but today stilled  by maintenance. Behind me it's a golden sand beach with a fringe of palms - and there's another long-tailed boat moored on the water's edge; these boats are the Thai workhorses of the sea.

I muse. Have a made a good decision? I think it's turning out OK. Although my companion, a devote Buddhist, always says, in a perfect demonstration of the 'middle way', that everything has two sides; and paradise does have some dark corners! But more of that later - maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment