Saturday 22 November 2014

A humble orange.

Screen Shot 2014 11 22 at 6 49 14 AM


A Bergamot orange to be precise.

So what? Well I’m beginning day 26,164 of my life. And the Bergamot and I are locked in a daily rendezvous.

What makes the Bergamot remarkable, other than it’s  similarity with a tablet, is that Bergamot oranges apparently have ingredients that approximate the benefits of statins which are associated with lowering cholesterol; it seems that two ingredients Melitidin and brutieridin, only recently discovered, exist only in citrus Bergamot. In other words, maybe eating Bergamot assists in lowering cholesterol.

Of course by looking at this humble tablet it’s hard to sense any of the romance that could be associated with the explanation found in the Wikipedia Bergamot entry for Bergamot:
Production mostly is limited to the Ionian Sea coastal areas of the province of Reggio di Calabria in Italy, to such an extent that it is a symbol of the entire city.

I have no idea whether the claims made for Bergamot oranges is true.

But it seems that many Calabrian residents do enjoy long lives.

So I begin each morning by putting my trust in Bergamot; and I wash it down with orange juice.

Not sure if it’s lowering my cholesterol but it’s a great way to begin my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment