Thursday 27 November 2014

Arriving at old age is like arriving at a strange country.

 
I've been sailing along and now, suddenly it often seems, I have arrived on expected, and yet unfamiliar shores.
 
Arriving at old age is like arriving at a strange country.
 
The journey has been interesting, and the signposts along the way have announced the destination. But I'm surprised now I am here. And I don't know what the main attractions of this destination are. In fact whether there are attractions or not depends - - on our state of mind.
 
What is there to see? Where can I go? What is there to do?
 
Well, I've discovered there's little difference to my choices of 10 or 20 years ago.
 
There is still plenty to see; there may be some differences in the looking - for example it's likely that I have to decide to go looking rather than sink down into that comfy chair. I perhaps have to be more determined. And perhaps I find myself looking is different places, for example I am enjoying discovering previously unexplored land- and mind-scapes; I am unearthing new perspectives of past recollections; I continue to learn - but often it's knowledge of a new, or different, kind. And the Internet can be like a magic carpet - it can whisk us to faraway place in the tap of a key or the motion of a wrist.
 
And where can I go? Easy. Anywhere. Certainly mobility may have some influence on our wanderings - but whether we are travelling physically, or whether we are more often an armchair traveller,  we are free to travel - mores than perhaps ever before. In fact those of us that travel mostly in our armchairs we are lucky because borders and transport logistics bother us not at all. And it's never been easier to travel physically no matter our circumstances.
 
And what is there to do? Where to start? Read. Write. Volunteer. Support. Encourage. Travel. Teach. Lead. Listen. What we can do, within our capabilities, is limitless.
 
The real question is do we want to to? Can we be bothered? Do we think we have the energy? Do we have the confidence? Are we interested?
 
When I was a younger man we talked of GOYA; get of your ass! Perhaps people still do use the expression - I don't know. But it's sound advice because, irrespective of age, it's in our hands alone to look, and discover, and explore, and wonder, and challenge.

And be.

No comments:

Post a Comment