Saturday 29 November 2014

Maybe you think your parasailing days are over?


It's so easy to get bogged down in reality - or at least what we consider reality. Sometimes reality is just another word for being lost.

The other day, in the late afternoon, I was walking along the beach when I was passed by the final parasailing sortie of the day on it's way to a beach landing - or perhaps a 'splash-down'.

I got to thinking how interesting the view would be from up there; for example, I could see over the headland that I have never bothered to explore; I could clearly see the relationship between beach and township; I could get a much closer look at the small island on the horizon that fascinates me; and I could get a very different view of the Big Buddha perched on the crest of the range.

Getting a broader view, a less detailed view, can sometimes help a great deal when thinking about life; well it helps me anyway.

For some years I flew light aircraft and during my early navigation exercises, over some of Australia's most remote regions, my instructor hammered the message: when lost climb higher because the wider the view the better able the pilot is to visually fix their location in relation to their map; at 10,000 feet it's much easier than when down in the valley.

So when confronted with making decisions about what to do, or not do, I often try to eliminate the detail, the minutia of every minute living, and try to see the wider horizons; I try to climb higher above the hilltops; I try to get a wider picture. Sometimes knowing what's around the headland can make a big difference to a decision that I am making.

Maybe you think that your parasailing days are over? Even so, don't give up taking a wider view of your landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment