Tuesday 25 November 2014

Give - to live happier lives


As I walk the beach early most mornings I often reflect on my previous day's reading; this phrase kept returning to my mind this morning.

'Whether giving money or practicing generosity in other ways, like giving blood or volunteering for a charity, we are happier when we give. This impact is greatest of all among older people, where there is even evidence that volunteering helps improve health and longevity.'

So writes Australian resident David Michie in Enlightenment to go.

Give to live?

Well it seems so and if you are ageing - or better yet an ageing warrior, evidence and traditional wisdom both clearly establish that generosity - of every kind - make you happier. And don't we all want to be happier?

I do try to be generous, especially as I live in a country where even if I were poor, my western heritage and life circumstances makes me comparatively wealthy.

I can modestly tip after enjoying a delicious - and cheap - Thai meal and it will be more than some individuals have to spend on eating in one day.

I am increasingly spending time with Thai people in conversation - just to give them confidence in using their English.

I have, and do, help Thai families achieve their modest aspirations which may otherwise denied them.

But this is not about what I do, about my generosity, and the increased happiness I enjoy in return; I'm hoping this causes you to pause and ask of yourself, 'Are there ways in which I can be more generous?'

Being generous is humanity at work. And it's an investment in happiness.

Tool Kit
Enlightenment to Go.
The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom

No comments:

Post a Comment